Voter Information & How to Run for Office
The sample Democratic ballot for the March 3 election may be found at https://www.madisoncountyvotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Madison-Sample-D.pdf.
Thinking of voting on the Republican ballot so you have more people to vote for or can affect the outcome of the Senate race (or others)? NOT a good idea. You lower the number of Democrats recorded as voting, which makes it hard for us to recruit candidates the next go-around. And how would we like it if Republicans did that to us? Vote the Democratic ballot.
List of Qualified candidates for membership on the Madison County Executive Committee (MCDEC)*
How do I learn more about Democratic Candidates who have qualified to run for office?
I need to register to vote.
Can I register as a Democrat?
- Alabama does not register by party
- You must ask for either a Democratic or Republican ballot during Primary elections
- There are no party specific ballots in the general election; we all use the same ballot
- There are a lot of reasons to vote in the Democratic Primary if you’re a Democrat
- Starting immediately, you will not be able to switch party ballots between the Primary and the Runoff
Qualifying papers are due for all offices; Deadline is NOVEMBER 8, 2019 AT 5:00 pm:
- State-wide office paperwork paperwork and qualifying fees are due in Montgomery at 5 pm at Alabama Democratic Headquarters (www.aldemocrats.org and http://sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/candidates/candidate-resources for info)
Interested individuals may contact the local party at 256-533-1776.
- There will be an opportunity to make submissions November 7, 11:30 – 1:00 at the Democratic Women’s meeting at Huntsville Country Club, 601 Oakwood Ave. NW in Huntsville.
- County-wide office paperwork paperwork and qualifying fees are due at 5 pm November 8, PO Box 628, Huntsville, AL 35804; if you need to hand-deliver, call 256-534-1776 to make arrangements.
- State-wide, Federal and Democratic National Convention Delegate qualifying papers and checks are due at 5 pm at Alabama Democratic Headquarters, 501 Adams Avenue, Montgomery, AL 36104.
- Fees are 2% of the positions' salary
- DNC Delegate fee is $50
- More info at http://aldemocrats.org/resource/candidate_qualifying#Party
- Applications must be notarized
- Declaration of Candidacy [PDF document]
- Delegate Qualifying Form [PDF document]
- Presidential Qualifying Form [PDF document]
- Petition Signature Form for Presidential Candidates [PDF document]
I don’t know how to find my state legislators or U. S. House or Senate representatives.
What kind of ID do I need to vote?
Check my voter registration status.
Tell me the next election dates and deadlines.
- Presidential Primary: Tuesday, March 3, 2020
- Primary Runoff: Tuesday, March 31, 2020
- General Election: Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Which offices are up for election in 2020?
I need to know where I vote.
Additional voting information (absentee, sample ballots, etc.).
The Madison County Democrats hold periodic voter registration events. If you’d like to find out when they will be, send us your email for our newsletter.
If you’d like to volunteer to help with voter registration or to devote your time and talents to one of our many other activities, please complete the form at Get Involved.
If you’d like to begin to get to know us and our work, attend our monthly business meetings. Contact us for meeting times and locations.